The primary technology (Gen 1) of the Audi R8 was first launched within the US in 2008 and rapidly established itself as one of the iconic and sought-after luxurious sports activities vehicles in the marketplace.
The R8 was Audi’s first mid-engine sports activities automobile, and it was designed to ship a very distinctive driving expertise with out sacrificing any side of luxurious or consolation.
Obtainable with two engine configurations: a 4.2L V8 and a 5.2L V10, each of which had been paired with a sophisticated Quattro all-wheel-drive system, delivering distinctive stability and dealing with.
The Gen 1 Audi R8 was a real masterpiece of engineering and design.
The automobile was constructed with a light-weight aluminum house body, which was designed to supply an ideal stability of energy and weight, making the R8 extremely agile and responsive.
The automobile’s exterior design was additionally placing, that includes sharp traces and aggressive angles by no means seen earlier than that gave it an unmistakable presence on the street.
The R8’s inside was equally as spectacular as one would count on from Audi, with good match and end, premium leather-based supplies, and a driver-focused format that put all of the controls inside straightforward attain.
The Gen 1 R8 was not only a automobile, it was a press release of luxurious and energy, an emblem of the model’s dedication to carve a reputation for themselves within the luxurious sports activities automobile market.
Most significantly, it gave potential automobile patrons an alternative choice to its rival competitor, Porsche 911 Turbo, as an on a regular basis supercar…
On the identical time it was difficult Italy’s greatest with the Lamborghini LP560 and Ferrari F430 and 458 Italia, as a extra reasonably priced and usable unique automobile.
Merely put, the Audi R8 set the usual for a supercar of its time and it nonetheless holds an iconic place in automotive historical past.
Driving the first-generation (Gen 1) Audi R8 is an expertise that’s really unforgettable.
From the second you sit behind the wheel and listen to the engine roar to life, you realize you’re in one thing particular.
Each the V8 and V10 engines sound distinctive, and provide a way of energy and velocity that’s quick but controllable.
The engine’s energy is delivered seamlessly to all 4 wheels through the superior Quattro all-wheel-drive system, offering distinctive stability and dealing with.
The R8’s suspension is completely tuned to supply a stability of consolation and efficiency, delivering a clean and composed journey on the street.
The automobile’s light-weight aluminum house body and sharp steering provides a direct feeling with the street making it extremely agile and responsive.
Over the lifespan of the primary technology Audi R8, it was out there with three transmission choices: R-Tronic, S-Tronic, and 6-Velocity guide transmission.
Whereas all of those transmission choices present an pleasing driving expertise, it’s the 6-speed guide transmission that really stands out as probably the most enjoyable and fascinating choice.
The gated guide transmission supplies a mechanical and visceral feeling that’s unparalleled in in the present day’s vehicles that are largely outfitted with automated transmissions.
You’ll be capable of really feel and listen to the gears shifting, and it provides a degree of management and precision that’s not discovered in lots of fashionable vehicles.
The guide transmission model of the Audi R8 is changing into more and more uncommon and sought-after, as the supply of this mannequin decreases and the value continues to rise.
S-Tronic transmission debuted in 2014 as the graceful, dependable, and quick shifting twin clutch substitute to the jerky R-Tronic single clutch transmission present in earlier years.
Each the R-Tronic and S-Tronic had been paddle operated semi-automatic transmissions.
Mannequin Adjustments (Breakdown by Yr)
2008 Audi R8
In 2008, Audi shocked the world when it launched the R8 to the general public with a beginning base value of roughly $110,000… slotting it above the Porsche 911 and beneath any Ferrari or Lamborghini.
Debuting with the glossy silhouette of a two-door coupe and iconic LEDs alongside the underside of the headlights and distinctive facet blade function, the Audi R8 was in contrast to every other sports activities automobile on the time.
As with most unique automobile conditions, the R8 was powered by a mid-engine 4.2L V8 producing 420 HP that was initially discovered within the Audi RS4.
2009 Audi R8
Mechanically, the 2009 Audi R8 was principally the identical because the 2008.
Nevertheless, there have been some slight adjustments to the choices and automobile price mentioning:
- New choice: Carbon Fiber might be ordered for inside trim, engine panels, or facet blade.
- New choice: 19” double spoke polished wheel design was supplied.
- Digital Data System (DIS) modified from low res crimson to a lot increased res white.
- AUX enter added within the heart console for 2009 (some late 2008s even have).
- Rear trunk launch moved from a guide pull beneath the headlight switches, to an electrical swap behind the drivers left shoulder on the left wall of the automobile.
- New inside rear cabin window defogger swap.
2010 Audi R8
The largest change got here in 2010, in a transfer that may shock many, Audi borrowed the Lamborghini V10 engine and shoved it within the Audi R8 chassis delivering a most energy output of 525 horsepower and a most torque of 391 lb-ft.
Whereas the V10 engine was the largest change for 2009, the R-Tronic and 6-speed guide transmission choices remained the identical.
Selecting the V10 Audi R8 would value it round $150,000, or roughly $40,000 greater than its V8 counterpart.
On the outside, many adjustments differentiated the V8 from the V10.
To the human eye, most R8s will look the identical however the V10 has a gloss black rear bumper insert together with oval exhaust ideas as a substitute of quad ideas.
From the facet you’ll now discover barely bigger facet blade consumption scoops and extra aggressive facet skirts alongside the underside. The V10 entrance grille is now supplied with chrome cross weaving.
The next adjustments had been added for 2010 as nicely:
- New Navigation system with improved graphics, site visitors information, and true AMI functionality
- New choice: Full LED headlights (commonplace on V10)
- New choice: Audi music interface out there with Navigation
- New choice: Wheels in Titanium end
2011 Audi R8
2011 gave delivery to the spyder variants of each the V8 and V10 mannequin. Base value for the 4.2L V8 began round $132,000, whereas the V10 spyder had a base value of round $165,000 earlier than choices.
Nevertheless, one distinct and controversial visible change impacted the design and that was the removing of the signature facet blade and in place was a protracted sweeping facet consumption vent.
Different notable adjustments for the 2011 Audi R8:
- New choice: Carbon Fiber Sigma exterior bundle (entrance spoiler and rear diffuser)
2012 Audi R8
For the fellows that wished a extra hardcore track-focused R8, Audi launched the 2012 Audi R8 GT spec mannequin in each coupe and spyder type in 2012.
Clocking in round $200,000 base value for the R8 GT coupe, and $215,000 base value for the R8 GT Spyder, these had been probably the most unique and costly first technology Audi R8 but.
Much like what you’ll discover in a Lamborghini Superleggera or Porsche GT3 RS, the R8 GT targeted on shaving weight and including energy as its primary precedence.
Key variations had been much less weight, extra aero with a hard and fast rear wing and entrance canard winglets, aggressive rear diffuser, clear tail lights, and barely reworked rear bumpers and entrance bumper grilles.. whereas the inside was closely optioned with alcantara and individually numbered out of the 333 models on the shift knob.
The Audi R8 GT was solely out there with the R-Tronic transmission.
Solely 333 complete models had been made with 90 coupes and 50 spyders allotted for the US market.
Different notable adjustments for the 2012 Audi R8:
- New choice: carbon ceramic brakes
- New choice: Perforated leather-based steering wheel
- New choice: Titanium Sport Bundle for Coupes: Black Optic exterior, Piano Black inside inlays, Black alcantara headliner, exhaust ideas in black, & Titanium end wheels
2013 Audi R8
No Audi R8s had been bought for the mannequin yr 2013.
That’s as a result of the R8 was not produced as a 2013 in anticipation for the mid-life cycle replace that got here in 2014.
2014 Audi R8
2014 marked the largest change for the primary technology Audi R8 mannequin with an enormous refresh that added a twin clutch S-Tronic transmission and varied design tweaks inside and outside.
Variations included commonplace LED headlights and tail lights, whereas the bumpers had been reworked as soon as once more and had spherical exhaust ideas as commonplace for each the V8 and V10.
Inside choices had been tremendously improved with newly out there cross stitching that elevated the inside.
The V10 added a further trim degree referred to as the “V10 Plus” which added 25 HP (for a complete of 550 HP), carbon ceramic brakes as commonplace, and firmer suspension.
For 2014, the R8 continued to be supplied in each Coupe and Spyder variants for the V8 and V10 fashions.
Different notable adjustments for the 2014 Audi R8:
- New commonplace wheel design.
- Prolonged Leather-based bundle was upgraded to Full Leather-based bundle, which lined extra inside surfaces (navigation encompass, heart tunnel, and e-brake).
- New choice: Diamond Sew Full Leather-based bundle.
2015 Audi R8
Since a serious refresh occurred only a yr in the past, Audi saved issues comparatively easy for 2015.
Nevertheless, there was the introduction of a brand new R8 V10 Competitors mannequin… Audi’s closing swan tune for the primary technology R8.
Much like the Audi R8 GT formulation of much less weight and extra energy, the R8 Competitors was restricted to solely 60 models and featured extra aggressive bodywork within the type of carbon fiber rear spoiler, rear diffuser, and entrance splitter.
The 5.2-liter V10 engine produced 570 horsepower (20 greater than the V10 Plus) and 398 lb-ft of torque, and when mixed with the S-Tronic transmission, the R8 Competitors topped out at 199 mph and will speed up from 0-60 mph in simply 3.2 seconds.
The R8 V10 Competitors additionally has quite a few commonplace performance-enhancing upgrades, together with a sport-tuned suspension, carbon ceramic brakes, and a sport exhaust system.
The R8 V10 Competitors is unique and collectible as it’s the final model made earlier than the second technology of R8.
Different notable adjustments for the 2015 Audi R8:
- New choice: Purple brake calipers
- New choice: Sport exhaust system
Audi R8 Widespread Issues
It’s price noting that, whereas the Gen 1 Audi R8 is a reasonably dependable automobile, many individuals have pushed theirs to very excessive mileage with none important points.
Nevertheless, it is very important understand that all vehicles, even supercars, can have points and it is very important carry out a Pre-Buy Inspection (PPI) from a certified supplier or skilled impartial mechanic to disclose all points.
Listed beneath are a number of the most typical points which were reported by homeowners of the Gen 1 Audi R8:
- Magnetic journey suspension points: Many house owners have reported points with the suspension, together with worn bushings and leaking suspension parts. These points can result in a much less comfy journey and lowered dealing with capabilities. You will need to have any suspension parts inspected prior to buy, and to handle any points that will come up as quickly as attainable. A typical repair for this problem is to interchange with manufacturing unit or aftermarket coilover kits which might run wherever from $2,000 to $6,000 plus labor.
- AC compressor: One other frequent problem reported by some Gen 1 Audi R8 homeowners is the AC compressor, it might trigger the air con system to cease working, leaving the occupants of the automobile with out cool air on sizzling days. Just like the suspension problem, it is very important examine the AC compressor prior to buy for any indicators of failure. The excellent news is you could change the compressor with an aftermarket Denso branded unit for a fraction of the value for an OEM unit. The dangerous information is that if out of guarantee, you may count on labor prices upwards of $3,500 via an impartial mechanic. Substitute is labor intensive as a result of the situation of the AC compressor sometimes requires engine out service.
- Engine oil leaks: Some R8 homeowners have reported oil leaks from the engine, which might be attributable to a wide range of points corresponding to worn gaskets, broken oil seals, or lack of routine upkeep. These leaks could cause harm to the engine if not addressed in a well timed method. Usually oil leaks are straightforward to identify and ought to be reported throughout Pre-Buy Inspection.
- Transmission points: Homeowners with the R-Tronic transmission have reported points with the transmission, together with slipping gears and problem shifting. These points might be attributable to worn transmission parts or issues with the transmission management module. Whereas R-Tronic clutches sometimes are recognized to final a very long time, there’s the chance for wanted clutch substitute… particularly for increased mileage vehicles. S-Tronic transmission clutches ought to final a lifetime and 6-Velocity guide transmission clutches are depending on driver habits. Fortunately all transmission choices provide the capacity to do a clutch put on studying prior to buy to grasp the extent of clutch put on.
- Body cracking: One other recognized problem particularly for early 2009-2010 Audi R8 is the chassis body cracking close to the entrance suspension. Audi was made conscious of this and rectified this problem from 2011 onwards. Whereas some customers have bolstered cracked frames, the structural integrity stays jeopardized. Fortunately the susceptible cracked frames areas might be seen giving potential patrons the power to make sure a automobile is structurally sound.
Gas Provide Line (Recall no. 11V390000)
The gas provide line could come into contact and rub in opposition to the warmth defend within the engine compartment. This might result in a small gas leak and might result in car fireplace if involved with ignition. This recall is barely affected on 2011-2012 Audi R8 Spyders.
Upkeep and Possession Prices
Proudly owning an Audi R8 might be thought-about comparatively low upkeep in comparison with different high-performance supercars.
Nevertheless, it is very important understand that common upkeep and repairs will nonetheless be essential, and the prices can range relying on whether or not you are taking your automobile to a supplier or impartial mechanic.
Here’s a tough estimate of typical service prices related to the Audi R8:
- Oil Change – As little as $150 for impartial mechanic and $300 for supplier.
- Brakes (pads/rotors) – About $2,000 – $2,500 for components and labor. Ceramic brakes ought to final the lifetime of the automobile.
- Tires – A set of excessive efficiency tires like Michelin PS4 can price about $1,500.
- Annual Service – Usually consists of oil change, spark plugs, cabin filters, and engine filter. Value from an impartial mechanic averages round $1,250.
The primary technology Audi R8 supplied a a number of choices for patrons to select from.
Among the many hottest choices was the carbon sigma facet blade, which added a carbon fiber facet blade to the outside of the automobile, enhancing its aerodynamics and giving it a sporty and aggressive look.
Whereas not the most effective, the R-Tronic transmission was additionally a preferred selection on the time previous to 2014, which was a 6-speed automated transmission with paddle shifters, offering a F1-like expertise.
Moreover, many patrons opted for the carbon sigma inside trim bundle as nicely, which included carbon fiber accents on the dashboard and door panels, including a contact of luxurious to the automobile’s inside.
The carbon sigma exterior bundle which included a entrance lip and rear diffuser in carbon fiber additionally was a preferred selection.
Some patrons additionally opted for the prolonged leather-based choices, which included high quality Nappa leather-based seats, leather-based door panels, and a dashboard, which was an improve from the usual leather-based and alcantara upholstery.
A handful of R8 prospects additionally went via the Audi Unique program which was a factory-in-house customization program, that allowed prospects to personalize their R8 with distinctive exterior and inside colours, supplies, and options that weren’t out there on common manufacturing fashions.
Due to the strict approval necessities, vehicles that went via the Audi Unique program are thought-about extremely fascinating.
These vehicles normally command a better premium out there attributable to their exclusivity and uniqueness.
Whereas there have been some choice adjustments from 2008-2015, beneath are the choices listing out there for the ultimate yr of each the pre-facelift (2008-2012) and facelift (2014-2015) first technology Audi R8 V10.
2012 Audi R8 V10 Choices Record
2015 Audi R8 Choices Record
A few of the extra fascinating choices to search for:
- 6-speed gated guide transmission or S-Tronic transmission
- Carbon fiber inside and engine panels (commonplace on V10 fashions)
- Carbon fiber facet blade
- Prolonged leather-based
- Audi Unique exterior or inside (uncommon)
- Diamond stitching inside bundle (2014-2015)
The Greatest Audi R8 to Purchase
In terms of shopping for an R8, there are a couple of key components to contemplate that may have an effect on the automobile’s long-term worth.
Maybe crucial issue to contemplate when shopping for an R8 is the transmission.
As such, value tendencies for the Audi R8 fall in three completely different buckets.
If you’re trying to purchase an R8 with the strongest potential for future appreciation, the 6 velocity gated guide transmission fashions, significantly the V10, are your greatest wager.
Though guide transmission R8s sometimes command a premium, it does drastically scale back the depreciation generally present in different fashions.
And as increasingly more vehicles flip to hybrid expertise, the naturally aspirated V10 mixed with 6-speed guide transmission vehicles are extremely wanted by collectors and lovers in in the present day’s market.
The “creme de la creme” of all of them is the facelifted 2014-2015 Audi R8 in 6-speed guide, with solely 18 models in 2014 and eight models in 2015 produced with a guide transmission. Count on to pay a hefty premium when one comes up on the market.
So when you could pay extra now, there’s a better likelihood of the worth growing over time… particularly when you plan to maintain one for greater than 5 years.
Typically ignored and typically forgotten, restricted version fashions, such because the Audi R8 GT, and R8 Competitors are additionally thought-about to be nice choices for these in search of an R8 that will admire in worth attributable to exclusivity.
These fashions are produced in restricted numbers and sometimes function distinctive styling and superior efficiency enhancements, making them extra fascinating to collectors and automobile lovers.
When it comes to market stability, your greatest wager is the 2014-2015 Audi R8 with the S-Tronic transmission.
The twin clutch S-Tronic transmission has been confirmed to be very dependable, and whereas not as enjoyable as a real guide transmission, has zero of the negatives sometimes discovered within the older R-Tronic transmission.
Mixed with the minor adjustments discovered within the 2014-2015 Audi R8, the S-Tronic is a superb selection nonetheless and costs proceed to stay steady.
Nevertheless, alternatively, all R-Tronic Audi R8 fashions (2009-2012) stay the least fascinating as a result of clunky nature of the transmission, and topic to a extra aggressive depreciation as time goes on.
It’s endorsed that you just think about an R-Tronic Audi R8 as a final resort.
On this graph beneath, you may see the rarity of the Audi R8 with a guide transmission in the USA, displaying the variety of R-Tronic and 6 velocity guide transmission R8s.
As the info exhibits, the guide transmission variations of the Audi R8 are a lot rarer than the automated R-Tronic variations, for each the V8 and V10 engine choices.
If you’re in search of a very memorable driving expertise, it will likely be tough to discover a higher choice than an Audi R8 with a gated guide transmission and a naturally aspirated V10 engine.
The distinctive sound of the gated guide shifting gears, mixed with the facility of a giant V10, make it a very distinctive and particular driving expertise.
The one caveat is that it’s uncommon to search out V10 guide R8s in the marketplace these days.
Those which were bought at auctions have commanded a excessive value, and we count on this development to proceed sooner or later.
Along with the transmission and restricted version fashions, the situation and mileage of the automobile are additionally necessary components to contemplate when shopping for an R8.
A well-maintained automobile with low mileage is extra more likely to retain its worth in the long term.
Due to this fact, it’s necessary to do your analysis, evaluate costs, and search for well-maintained vehicles in case you are contemplating buying an R8 with the aim of appreciation.
For round $100,000 to $150,000, relying on spec, the Audi R8 is arguably among the best entry degree unique vehicles you should buy in the present day.
Whilst you could possibly discover different vehicles like Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Gallardo, or the Porsche 911 Turbo in that value vary as nicely, neither can have the expertise, consolation, ease of use, and reliability that may be discovered within the Audi R8.
In abstract, in case you are trying to get your first on a regular basis unique automobile then the Audi R8 is a no brainer.